About Us

My photo
We are the Lein Family. Kyle is the Daddy, Jean is the Mama, Asher is our big boy, and Livie is our sweet baby girl. We love friends, family, food, and the playground. And of course, we love our minivan.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Just Wait 5 Minutes

Have you ever heard the old saying if you don't like the weather in Wisconsin, wait 5 minutes, it will change? Well, if you don't like your two year old's behavior, wait 5 minutes, it will change.

Inspired by my friend Katie who took her 6 week old and 17 month old to the grocery store by herself, I decided to give it a try with my two kiddos, age 6 months and almost 2 and a half. This was a daunting task but we have a busy week ahead of us, so I decided to risk it in order to have more time with the hubby later this evening.

Leaving the house was a bit crazy. We got going late and I knew I was on borrowed time as far as Liv's eating schedule was concerned. I thought of Elaine from Seinfeld, speeding off in her flannel nightgown and bedhead, to get her annoying ex-fling to the airport. She knew she was crazy for even trying, but she just had to get him out of her house. I was calling myself crazy, thinking this could only end in stress and possibly tears. But we needed detergent and batteries, darn it!

Craziness aside, we made it out the door in one piece and from then on the kids were amazing. Liv slept the whole time. Ash was excited about sitting in the big boy cart. (Think large cart plus red bench that can hold two kids....this thing is massive. It might've been easier to drive an 18 wheeler through the isles of Woodman's, but I digress.) He got a little stir-crazy toward the end so I let him get off the bench. He was an angel. Stayed by the cart. Walked when I said let's go, stopped when I said stop. In the checkout line, he quietly looked over the candy bars, held them one at a time, then gently put them back. He never even asked for one. It really couldn't have gone better. I got into the van with a big sigh of relief. Thank you Lord!

Home at last, I plop Ash in front of a movie and Liv in front of the boppy to play with her activity mat so I can bring in the groceries. I race to get them inside. Check on the kids. Both happy as clams just where I left them. I think to myself, "Wow, great kids. Best in the world. So good." I then scramble to put the groceries away.

This is when I notice it's gotten quiet. Too quiet. The kind of quiet a mom recognizes as bad news. I peer into the living room ..... where is Liv? I forget for a moment where I put her. Wasn't she on the activity mat? Wait a second, where is the activity mat? I don't see it. All I see is Asher laying on top of his comforter in the exact spot where Livie should be. I panic! I freak out! I race to save my smoothered princess! I grab Ash and move him aside. Fearfully I pull back the comforter and there is Liv smiling like this is the best game she's ever played! She doesn't care that he knocked her over, crashing her mat on top of her, then smothered her with a blanket and jumped on top. She just loves being part of the game!

So where did my sweet, rule-following boy go? I do not know. He's upset that I didn't like his game and proceeds to cry on the floor for a good 5 minutes. Finally he's over it but I think the morning is shot. Do I dare try for lunch or just send him straight to bed? A meltdown could ensue at any moment.

Spurred on by the successful shopping trip, I opt for lunch in front of the tv. He agrees. I get him set up, make my own lunch, and sit on the floor next to the coffee table to enjoy my hummus and veggie wrap. This is when sweetheart boy makes his comeback. He looks over at me on the floor and says, "Muma, ju like a chair?" "Why, sure!" I reply and he brings me one from his little table. We sit around the coffee table and enjoy our lunch together, while Liv bounces safely in the jumperoo.

No comments: